Brandhacker Infographic Rating (Hackin!, Status Quo, Lame): Status Quo
We don't see a date on this nice infographic to trust it fully, but it sure looks good. Lots of white space and in the shape of an iPhone. What are some of the trends and questions we've gathered from this piece of work?
What Makes a Phone "smart"?
- This infographic tells us that only 1.08 Billion of the 5.0 Billion mobile phones in the world are "Smart Phones". Per Wikipedia, a "SmartPhone" has more advanced computing ability than a feature phone. So, to clarify, we're talking many apps and consumers spending lots of time on the phone for far more than making just phone calls
Android Vs Apple
- The Google Android operating system has now leaped ahead of Apple iPhone to a 46% market share
- In spite of this, iTunes continues to grow. And per Forrester Research CEO, George Colony, Apple should be in a position to keep recording growth of 50% or more through 2014
Smart Phone Usage Trends
- The fact that ~89% of smart phone users use their phones throughout the day and 92% use text messaging keeps me wondering why there still doesn't seem to be a strong brand presence in the text messaging arena.
- When are we going to see sponsored texts or text saving folders on the devices?
- It's always been my view that texts should be more savable and printable - but as any late night texter will tell you, some types of communications should remain informal and not documented chatter
- Smartphone usage continues to become a female thing. Per my last post the usage of smartphones by women (in the UK) is driving mobile (mcommerce) ordering of healthcare, beauty and household products
- Singapore now has the highest penetration of smart phones